Not everything on a runway should be wearable or normal — otherwise you wouldn’t have a fashion show. But each show season several micro-trends pop up that look totally strange. Even stranger is knowing that eventually some of these will catch on. So will you spring for a man shawl or tuxedo-inspired jumpsuit for next fall? Decisions…
1. TUXEDO JUMPSUIT
What: A hipster’s version of a business suit.
Ideal for: Those who hate picking out a top and bottom but also enjoy layering and pants.
From left: Rachel Comey, Band of Outsiders, Rachel Zoe, and Noon by Noor.
2. FUR MITTENS
What: Gloves for the person who has never heard of those squishy handwarmers you can get for cheap at REI.
Ideal for: The lady who might get into a fistfight when wearing a really nice outfit, anyone who doesn’t care if their hands look fat.
From left: Alexander Wang, Altuzarra, Katie Ermilio.
3. FUR COATS WITH YOGA PANTS
What: J. Lo’s version of casual.
Ideal for: J. Lo. Also, wealthy people who go to Whole Foods for green juice at 11 a.m.
From left: Michael Kors, Dennis Basso, Betsey Johnson.
4. BAGGY LEATHER PANTS
What: Leather pants for the woman with thighs. (Finally!)
Ideal for: People other than runway models who have flesh on their thighs! Also, people who hate ingrown hairs! (Rejoice!)
From left: Charlotte Ronson, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Monika Chiang.
5. GENERALLY ODD PANTS OF UNUSUAL PROPORTIONS
What: A zany alternative to skinny jeans.
Ideal for: The characters on Girls, people who want to bring the ’90s back (so, all of us).
From left: Rachel Comey, Rodarte, Wes Gordon.
6. THE MAN SHAWL
What: A coat substitute for a man loath to cover up a stylish outfit.
Ideal for: People who want to appear on street style blogs, men who date women who like to borrow their clothes.
From left: Custo Barcelona, Siki Im, Michael Bastian.
7. TURTLENECK HAT
What: A melding of knit hats and turtlenecks.
Ideal for: Anyone who hates being cold and either is bald or doesn’t give a damn about a bad hair day. Also, the person who just wishes their knit hats showed the slim silhouette of their ears (see: left).
From left: Michael Bastian, Alexander Wang, Moncler Grenoble.
- [Florida is bracing for tropical storm Erika, which is expected to hit the stat on Monday after tearing through Caribbean islands. At least 20 people have been killed. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- And on the same day 10 years later, former U.S. President George W. Bush toured New Orleans on the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. ›
- Owen Labrie was found not guilty of felony sexual assault charges stemming from a 15-year-old former student's accusations that he raped her at St. Paul's School. ›