After highlighting the problem of Paul Ryan’s supersized suits and gingham shirts, his rep emailed, “The American people are asking, where are the fitted shirts?” Well, American people, I will tell you! Let’s look at options by brand — American brand.
1. J. Crew: the Ludlow Suit.
J. Crew may be a classic MObama brand, but if Ryan can get past that, the Ludlow suit is apparently a great option for him. Described by a men’s stylist friend of mine as a “go-to for guys looking for a more modern fit,” this style comes in a variety of fabrics (some lighter for spring, some heavier for faull) with a cut that flatters a lot of figures while maintaining a slim fit. This two-button jacket is $425 (you can add a monogram for $10) while the pants are $225.
J. Crew also makes a Ludlow shirt — in gingham, which is key/screams proud American — for $88. (The shirt comes in a varieties of fabrics so you’re not confined to gingham.) Try the slim cut.
3. Brooks Brothers: Extra-Slim Fit Shirts
Did you know Brooks Brothers is the oldest men’s clothing chain in the U.S.? And started as a family business with 1818? I’m guessing not because why would you bother to Wikipedia that? Anyway, their “Extra-Slim Fit” shirts come highly recommended as “slim but not tight.” Also they seem to be having some sort of deal — $219 for 3. Who doesn’t love saving money? Ryan is all about it.
4. Banana Republic Monogram
Banan’s higher-end line is called “Monogram” and has some great fall options, like herringbone, which might be too edgy for Ryan but might not be too edgy for you/your man! Pictured is a stretch cotton blazer that costs $450. Customers are so passionate about this particular suit that they leave comments on BR’s site just to defend its honor.
5. Ralph Lauren Custom-Fit Estate Shirts
This one is on sale for $80. Again, supposed to be a great option for the slim-waisted, bulky-ish-shouldered lads.
6. DKNY Suiting
American designer Donna Karan’s lower-priced brand isn’t necessarily a go-to for slim fit suits, but ones that come in fabrics of heavier weight are supposed to be great. The slim-fit “slight pinstripe” style pictured is $595.
7. Jack Spade Shirts
These have an inherently great slim fit. This chambray option is a bit pricier at $125, but it’s not on sale like some other options here.
8. Thom Browne Oxford Shirt
Highly recommended by menswear fashion enthusiasts/experts, but Browne’s stuff is pricy (this style is $320 at Barneys). So perhaps not ideal for a guy like Ryan who wouldn’t want to look flashy, but if you’re looking to treat yourself you might give Browne’s line a shot.
9. Hamilton Bespoke Dress Shirts
Founded in 1883, Hamilton makes custom shirts in its Houston, Texas workshop. Go, America! You can order these online or through a specialist at an affiliated retailer. Also a little pricy at around $250 to $300 per shirt but getting tops custom-made is the best way to insure a fabulous fit. However be wary of measuring oneself. A lot of the time custom shirts ordered on the internet don’t come out right because dudes don’t know how to measure themselves, so maybe have a tailor do it.
10. Shirts by J. Hilburn
Apparently Esquire considers these the best dress shirts. The prices (which seem to start at $109) aren’t totally outrageous. Again, be careful if you’re measuring yourself because if you mess up or do it sloppy you’re not going to have a fabulously fitting product.
Also, these are made with Italian fabrics which might make them Paul Ryan-unfriendly? But regular people can embrace such a thing. Go, Italy!
Other Fashion Tips For Paul Ryan/Men With His Body Type:
• “Look for suits with slim lapels, higher arm openings, and a slightly shorter length,” my menswear stylist friend suggests.
• Find a tailor. Nothing off the rack is going to fit perfectly. A good tailor can help with this and make anything you wear look instantly more refined/expensive.
• Find a custom suit maker in your area. While you can order custom suits online, as I said, it’s always safer to just see a guy in person who can fit you properly.
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
- “how tall is paul ryan” is a hot search term for this page
- whichri79 thinks 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... is Trashy & Fail
- alexdz thinks 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... is Cute
- rhadams thinks 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... is Win
- lunawanderlust thinks 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... is LOL
- theblaze.com readers just made 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... hotter
- noeliosis thinks 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... is Win & Timeless
This is such a joke… with a brother who is 6’6” with a 32” waist and a boyfriend who is 6’7” and has a 34” waist I can tell you that just because someone is TALL and slender, this does not mean that someone fits into things similarly… my brother likes suits from Banana Republic, but they have to order anything online, and my boyfriend cannot fit into their jackets- oh yeah, tall slim people are sooo narrow- come on, who is writing this? -neither can fit into suits or shirts from JCrew (too short), but the best out of all is Nordstrom. Go there, done. Also, worst experience was once when my mother and I went to Bloomingdales and we wanted to get a sweater for my brother and we asked a woman who worked there what size for a brand we were unsure about… she told us to go to the Big and Tall store. My mother almost closed her account due to that comment. Big and Tall does not mean Big and/or Tall…
- ninak7 thinks 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... is Fail
- h20s12s thinks 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... is LOL
- whiteeyes thinks 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... is WTF & Fail
- likewhoaa thinks 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... is LOL
I scrolled down the page saying to myself, “no way can Melissa Garcia post her usual BS for THIS.” And I was wrong. I am convinced that she is one of those posters that conservative organizations pay to comment on articles. Or she is unemployed or retired. In that case, how is that government assistance working out for you, Melissa?
- joeyt7 thinks 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... is Timeless
- 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... is starting to get hot on Facebook Share It
- jamesr27 thinks 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... is Fail
- Leron V thinks 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... is Fail
- cathymartinezc 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m...
- 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... was rebuzzed by Donna D.
As a 6’2” dude with a 47” chest and 30” waist, I can tell you there are no shirts or pants I can buy off the rack that fit properly… so I just look for some RL’s or Tommy’s (shirts) and Liz Claiborne (pants) that are close to fitting, but a little big, then take them to the tailor… $4 a shirt/$6 per pants to get them to fit perfectly… how hard is that to figure out? There’s no need to spend $300 for a bespoke shirt. You can get the same fit with quality materials for a quarter of that price, or less.
- briso 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... and thinks it’s Timeless & Win
- 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... is starting to get hot on Twitter Tweet It
- Dorsey Shaw 10 Fashion Solutions For Paul Ryan &m... and thinks it’s FTW, Timeless & Win