After highlighting the problem of Paul Ryan’s supersized suits and gingham shirts, his rep emailed, “The American people are asking, where are the fitted shirts?” Well, American people, I will tell you! Let’s look at options by brand — American brand.
1. J. Crew: the Ludlow Suit.
J. Crew may be a classic MObama brand, but if Ryan can get past that, the Ludlow suit is apparently a great option for him. Described by a men’s stylist friend of mine as a “go-to for guys looking for a more modern fit,” this style comes in a variety of fabrics (some lighter for spring, some heavier for faull) with a cut that flatters a lot of figures while maintaining a slim fit. This two-button jacket is $425 (you can add a monogram for $10) while the pants are $225.
J. Crew also makes a Ludlow shirt — in gingham, which is key/screams proud American — for $88. (The shirt comes in a varieties of fabrics so you’re not confined to gingham.) Try the slim cut.
3. Brooks Brothers: Extra-Slim Fit Shirts
Did you know Brooks Brothers is the oldest men’s clothing chain in the U.S.? And started as a family business with 1818? I’m guessing not because why would you bother to Wikipedia that? Anyway, their “Extra-Slim Fit” shirts come highly recommended as “slim but not tight.” Also they seem to be having some sort of deal — $219 for 3. Who doesn’t love saving money? Ryan is all about it.
4. Banana Republic Monogram
Banan’s higher-end line is called “Monogram” and has some great fall options, like herringbone, which might be too edgy for Ryan but might not be too edgy for you/your man! Pictured is a stretch cotton blazer that costs $450. Customers are so passionate about this particular suit that they leave comments on BR’s site just to defend its honor.
5. Ralph Lauren Custom-Fit Estate Shirts
This one is on sale for $80. Again, supposed to be a great option for the slim-waisted, bulky-ish-shouldered lads.
6. DKNY Suiting
American designer Donna Karan’s lower-priced brand isn’t necessarily a go-to for slim fit suits, but ones that come in fabrics of heavier weight are supposed to be great. The slim-fit “slight pinstripe” style pictured is $595.
7. Jack Spade Shirts
These have an inherently great slim fit. This chambray option is a bit pricier at $125, but it’s not on sale like some other options here.
8. Thom Browne Oxford Shirt
Highly recommended by menswear fashion enthusiasts/experts, but Browne’s stuff is pricy (this style is $320 at Barneys). So perhaps not ideal for a guy like Ryan who wouldn’t want to look flashy, but if you’re looking to treat yourself you might give Browne’s line a shot.
9. Hamilton Bespoke Dress Shirts
Founded in 1883, Hamilton makes custom shirts in its Houston, Texas workshop. Go, America! You can order these online or through a specialist at an affiliated retailer. Also a little pricy at around $250 to $300 per shirt but getting tops custom-made is the best way to insure a fabulous fit. However be wary of measuring oneself. A lot of the time custom shirts ordered on the internet don’t come out right because dudes don’t know how to measure themselves, so maybe have a tailor do it.
10. Shirts by J. Hilburn
Apparently Esquire considers these the best dress shirts. The prices (which seem to start at $109) aren’t totally outrageous. Again, be careful if you’re measuring yourself because if you mess up or do it sloppy you’re not going to have a fabulously fitting product.
Also, these are made with Italian fabrics which might make them Paul Ryan-unfriendly? But regular people can embrace such a thing. Go, Italy!
Other Fashion Tips For Paul Ryan/Men With His Body Type:
• “Look for suits with slim lapels, higher arm openings, and a slightly shorter length,” my menswear stylist friend suggests.
• Find a tailor. Nothing off the rack is going to fit perfectly. A good tailor can help with this and make anything you wear look instantly more refined/expensive.
• Find a custom suit maker in your area. While you can order custom suits online, as I said, it’s always safer to just see a guy in person who can fit you properly.
- President Obama on Monday declared a major disaster in South Carolina, where floods have killed at least 12 people and left tens of thousands stranded. ›
- California has become the fifth U.S. state to legalize physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill patients. ›
- Russia is reportedly preparing to send ground troops to aid Syria's campaign against rebel forces. ›