Kerry Taylor Auctions just sold off ten dresses worn by Princess Diana. Collectively, they fetched £862,800 or $1,308,436 — an average of about $130,000 per dress. Ahead, see what each dress sold for (prices have been converted from pounds). Don’t you love the ’80s?
1. Victor Edelstein green velvet evening gown: $36,396.
From Edelstein’s winter 1985 collection, this dress has a 24 inch waist (roughly the size of all of these), and was embellishment-free to emphasize Di’s “willowy figure.” Also, the “dark green velvet would have provided the perfect back-drop for fabulous jewels,” the auction catalog notes. Diana wore it for her private fancy parties.
2. Zandra Rhodes white chiffon cocktail dress: $72,792.
Diana wore this dress, from Rhodes’s fall 1985 collection, to a benefit in May of 1987.
3. Burgundy velvet sheath with tail coat, by Catherine Walker: $76,431.
Walker was one of Diana’s favorite designers. She wore this dress for the state visit to Korea in 1992 and to the premiere of Steel Magnolias in 1990.
You can watch Diana wearing the dress in live action in this video.
4. Catherine Walker sequin evening gown: $136,485.
This Walker number appeared on Diana during the 1989 state visit to Austria. According to the auction house catalog, “Diana had enormous faith in Catherine’s taste and judgement, so much so — that on this occasion she didn’t even ask to see provisional sketches — just asked her to select and make the dresses on her behalf. This extremely glamorous, sparkling gown was the only totally sequined example to form part of the Princess’ 1980s wardrobe.”
5. Bruce Oldfield black velvet gown: $76,265.
Diana wore this custom-made dress twice — for a portrait by Lord Snowdon and at the opening of Les Miserables in 1985.
6. Catherine Walker pink sequined ivory crepe gown: $118,287.
Seen on Diana during a state visit to Brazil in April of 1991. But pictured here is the princess wearing it in the company of Liza Minnelli at the after party for Stepping Out.
7. Black velvet Catherine Walker gown with beading: $163,782.
Seen famously (below) on Diana in a 1997 Vanity Fair story, shot by Mario Testino.
8. Catherine Walker burgundy crushed velvet evening gown: $163,782.
Continuing her tradition of wearing things to official state affairs and movie premieres, Diana wore this for a state visit to Australia and then to the premiere of Back to the Future.
9. Catherine Walker embroidered silk evening gown: $99,871.
Made for Diana to wear to a state visit to India in February of 1992.
10. Victor Edelstein midnight-blue velvet evening gown: $363,168.
Diana wore this — the star piece of the auction — for her famous dance with John Travolta on November 9, 1985. An anonymous British man bought it as a “surprise to cheer up his wife.” Goes to show, even with all that money lying around she still wasn’t happy. But sadly, we all knew that from Diana’s story.