It seems that some of Justin Bieber’s fans are upset with the recent photos that leaked of him smoking what appears to be marijuana. To try to get him to stop using drugs, they have allegedly taken to self-mutilation as a way to show just how upset they are.
While many of the tweets associated with the hashtag comment on how appalling it is or attempt to make jokes by posting images of people cutting pieces of paper, a few users have actually linked to images of self-harm. And while it’s tough to verify that these images actually correspond to the Twitter users in question, the fact that images of self-mutilation are being posted at all is immensely disturbing.
2. Here are a few tweets speaking out against the hashtag.
“Bully” is a 2011 film documenting the lives of various students being bullied and harassed in schools. It was the subject of some controversy when the MPAA gave it an R rating due to language, meaning that it could not be shown to students under 18 in classrooms. This is the official Twitter page of that film speaking out against the hashtag.
7. Here are a few disturbing seemingly pro-cutting tweets.
Again, it is unclear how many of the images being linked to are authentic, or whether or not this trend was started as some sort of joke. Either way, it’s pretty sickening to see this hashtag trending on Twitter, with over 70,000 mentions this afternoon.
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- Rapper 50 Cent may claim he's broke, but court records filed in his bankruptcy case show he has $10 million in various bank accounts.