1. So, you start chopping onions.
2. And it seems to be going really well.
3. Then, your eyes start to well.
4. YOU START TO CRY.
5. This is because syn-propanethial-S-oxide is released into the air.
We’re talkin’ lachrymatory-factor synthase enzymes…aka the I-WANT-TO-MAKE-YOU-CRY enzymes.
So, you may be asking, HOW can we stop this?
Well, there’s no particular science to it, but here are some of the myths, legends and recommendations for how to chop onions without a tear in your eye.
7. Chew gum.
8. Turn on a fan.
9. Breathe through your mouth.
10. Chop onions under running water.
11. Light a candle.
12. Wear goggles.
Contact lenses are also a great onion-tear-deterent.
13. Chill the onion in the fridge or freezer.
14. Sharpen your knives.
Fewer enzymes will escape when you exert less force on the onion.
16. And, above all else, keep your feelings out of it.
18. Share your own onion advice below!
For more exclusive tips and tricks from some of today’s top chefs, visit altaeditions.com!
- Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump have won the New Hampshire primaries for the Democratic and Republican nominations 🇺🇸
- The Supreme Court put on hold President Obama's climate change plan, which aims to curb carbon dioxide emissions from power plants.
- And thank the Force: Disney's profits hit an all-time high of $2.9 billion after the latest *Star Wars* film release ✨💰