1. Canada is Pretty Much an Uninhabited Wilderness
It’s true that there a lot less people in Canada than there are in the US, but there are still a fair amount of cities in Canada that rival American cities. Take Toronto with over 2.5 million residents. There’s also Victoria, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Quebec City, Montreal, and Halifax.
2. Canada is Always Cold
Right now in Halifax, it is 27 degrees Celsius, or roughly 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I have no air conditioning. Tell me now that Canada is always cold.
3. Our Police Look Like This
This is a Mountie, a member of the RCMP, which is the national police force, responsible for enforcing federal laws throughout Canada. You don’t really see many Mounties though, and in cities, most policemen look like any other policeman you’d find in the US. Even Mounties don’t always look like this; the everyday uniform consists of a grey shirt with dark blue tie, dark blue trousers with gold strapping, regular patrol boots called “ankle boots,” regular duty equipment, and a regular policeman’s style cap. Another misconception that Mounties are like Dudley Doright. Truth is many are armed with heavy artillery so think twice before you mess with one.
4. Canadians Only Speak French
When I was leaving Florida for Halifax, a surprising number of people asked me if I spoke French or asked me if they even spoke English in Canada. While Canada is a bilingual country, French is only commonly spoken within the province of Quebec and parts of New Brunswick. Canadians have to learn French throughout their school years, but still many can’t actually speak it.
5. Canadians Say “Eh” A Lot
Americans who do know Canadians speak English often assume Canadians always say “eh.” I’m pretty sure that’s an Ontario thing, because I’ve probably will hear “eh” only about once a month here in Hali.
6. Canadians Are Socialists
One time I was talking to the immigration guy when I was going from Halifax to Florida and he asked me what I studied up here. I told him political science and he replied, “Why? You know they’re socialists here?” Canada may have socialized healthcare but it is still a parliamentary democracy.
7. We Drink Milk Out of Bags
Once again, pretty sure it’s an Ontario thing, (as well as a Quebec thing apparently) because that’s the only place I’ve ever seen people use the bags of milk.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 0-1 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the cup ⚽️