1. Fresh off its debut at Comic-Con this weekend, the first teaser trailer for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies was released to the public on Monday and it’s as outsized as J.R R. Tolkien’s epic fantasy saga.
2. The movie is the third and final installment of Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit trilogy, and the teaser offers glimpses of all the characters, as well as some mourning, reflection, massive battles, and even a glimpse of the Eye of Sauron.
3. “Will you follow me, one last time?”
Why yes, Thorin, yes we will.
4. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, which stars Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield, Evangeline Lilly as Tauriel, and Orlando Bloom as Legolas, opens in the U.S. on Dec. 17.
In The News Today
- California Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House. ›
- The United Nations has proposed a national unity government for Libya after peace talks between the north African country's two rival factions. ›
- Walter Scott's family has reached a $6.5 million settlement with North Charleston, S.C., where the unarmed black man was fatally shot by an officer in April. ›