2. On Saturday, hundreds of Red Sox fans took to the streets of Boston to celebrate the team’s victory in the World Series.
4. When the parade reached the site of the Boston marathon bombings, Jonny Gomes, an outfielder, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia, a catcher, placed the Red Sox trophy and a jersey reading “Boston Strong” over the marathon finish line.
5. The action was meant to commemorate the site where two bombs were detonated in April, leaving 3 dead and 200 wounded.
6. At the finish line, designated hitter David Ortiz climbed off a duck boat to walk across it.
After being named World Series MVP, Ortiz shouted “Boston Strong” to Red Sox fans in Fenway Park.
7. Then, the parade paused for a moment of silence.
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️