1. On Sunday the Associated Press released spectacular video from NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory of a flare erupting from the sun.
3. It’s so remarkable and beautiful that it almost doesn’t seem real.
The eruption took place on April 2 and reached its peak at 15:05 GMT, according to NASA.
4. Solar flares are powerful bursts of radiation. The flare captured is classified as “mid-level,” which means it is 10 times less powerful than the most intense flares.
The Telegraph reports that radiation from a flare cannot pass through the Earth’s atmosphere and harm humans, but it can disrupt the layer of the atmosphere where GPS and communications signals travel.
5. Just imagine seeing this from space…
- Justice Antonin Scalia, who served almost 30 years on the Supreme Court as one of its most prominent and influential conservative voices, died Saturday. He was 79.
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated for the first time since Donald Trump's win in New Hampshire, and it got intense.
- Bitterly cold temperatures and arctic winds began freezing large swathes of the U.S. Northeast ❄️