1. From Texas to Ohio to Tennessee, a cold front covered much of the U.S. on Friday, knocking out power and making roads dangerous on Saturday, the Associated Press reports.
N. Sylvania Ave. in Fort Worth, Texas, on Friday, Dec. 6
2. With thick snow and face-stinging winds, schools closed and temperatures dropped to below freezing.
East Lancaster Ave. in Fort Worth.
3. 350 departing flights from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport were cancelled Saturday, the airport said. About 3,330 passengers were stranded in the terminals overnight.
4. Police in Tennessee said that power outages affected more than 3,000 people, and reported an increase in car accidents.
5. People rushed to stores to buy groceries, electricity generators and gas for their cars to prepare for days without power.
Shelby County, Tenn. Mayor Mark Luttrell asked residents to check on family and friends who are elderly, disabled or live alone.
6. Four people died of hypothermia after the San Francisco Bay Area of California was hit with freezing temperatures.
7. Sunday’s Dallas Marathon was cancelled due to the weather. At least 25,000 people were expected to run.
8. “I’m not afraid of the ice and snow, I’m afraid of the other drivers who don’t know how to drive in it,” said Memphis attorney Sam Chafetz.
Police in Arlington, about 20 miles west of Dallas, said that one driver was killed when his car slammed into a truck. Authorities in Oklahoma reported two weather-related traffic deaths.
9. “We’re still getting a lot of sleet falling and roads are slushy and kind of slick,” said James Medling, emergency management director for Dyer County, Tennessee.
10. But not everyone was affected by the bad weather…
White Christmas, anyone?
- Two bomb attacks in Nigeria's central city of Jos killed at least 44 people.
- Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis has resigned following an overwhelming "no" vote on new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. The country's future in the eurozone is uncertain.
- The U.S. defeated Japan 5-2 in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup. It was the highest scoring final in the history of the tournament ⚽️