A Lot Of Dogs Got High In 2013, But It’s Not As Chill As You Potheads Think

Marijuana poisoning — which can be extremely dangerous for dogs — is on the rise, NBC News reports. Keep them away from your bong water, y’all.

1. In 2013, more dogs got high than ever before. Or at least, more owners reported marijuana poisoning in their canines who had either snooped through their stash or were deliberately offered the drug.

2. Calls reporting stoned dogs increased by about 30 percent since 2009, NBC News reports.

3. According to the Animal Poison Control Center there were 213 calls reporting high dogs in 2009, compared to 320 in 2013. There are probably a lot more marijuana poisonings in dogs that go unreported as well.

4. The episodes tend to be accidental, said Dr. Matt Booth of Boulder, Colorado, but even if some were deliberate, “and some ding-a-ling gave his dog marijuana,” they are unlikely to report it to the doctor due to animal cruelty laws.

5. Bong water is the most common way for the pets to access marijuana.

6. Other examples include dogs eating the drug or plant materials like marijuana leaves, and the worst cases result from dogs getting ahold of their owner’s edibles.

They can also get high from eating human feces, or having smoke blown in their face, Wismer told BuzzFeed.

7. Dr. Monica Kaeble of the Pet Emergency and Specialty Care Center in La Mesa, Calif. told NBCNews.com that she sees about one or two cases of cannabis poisonings in dogs each week.

8. While dogs that seem stoned might be hilarious to look at, it turns out pot is actually pretty dangerous for them.

p(sub_buzz_desc_w_attr).

9. “Animals don’t react the same way as humans,” said Dr. Tina Wismer, director of the Animal Poison Control Center.

10. “They may become sedated, act drunk and wobbly, but about 25 percent go the other way. They become agitated, have high heart rates, they’re in distress. Most dogs become incontinent. They stagger around dribbling urine everywhere,” warns Dr. Wismer.

11. If dogs get high enough, without treatment, they can go into comas and die.

13. So please: if your dog accidentally finds your weed, or if you do something stupid like make him/her drink bong water, call a vet!

Check out more articles on BuzzFeed.com!

 
  Your Reaction?
 

    Contributions

    Hot Buzz

    Here’s A Recipe For Fried Beef Dumplings That Will Rock Your World

    The Internet Can’t Stop Sharing This Insane Tabla Cover Of “How Deep Is You...

    Now Buzzing