1. The campaign’s founders together pre-show: Salma Hayek Pinault, Gucci’s creative director Frida Giannini and Beyoncé Knowles-Carter.
2. During the concert, Beyoncé performed new song “Grown Woman” and it was fabulous.
3. Jay-Z later joined her on stage for a rendition of “Crazy in Love.” It was also fabulous.
And it was also adorable.
4. But people mostly wanted to talk about the fact that B wore leather hot pants.
5. (This is Beyoncé saying “no, really, thanks but no” to that line of criticism.)
Because the hot pants look phenomenal. And yes, Beyoncé can wear them and still be a feminist.
6. Jennifer Lopez emerged in wings borrowed from the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show wardrobe.
7. Another shot of the wings.
8. After the furore over her last leotard, this time she covered her crotch generously in fringe and paillettes.
9. But she loves her leather thigh high boots too much to be parted from them right now.
10. A jumpsuit-wearing Mary J. Blige then joined J.Lo for another great duet.
Also on stage: this billowy silk bedsheet of a cape.
11. But mostly everyone wanted to talk about which diva upstaged the other.
When, come on, if J.Lo let someone else wear a jumpsuit you know everything is cool.
12. Madonna gave a speech promoting girls’ education in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
“Education is not a luxury, it is a basic human right. If knowledge is power, let’s do more than ring the chime for change, let’s bang the gong for a revolution where we support each other regardless of race, religion or gender. A revolution that promotes peace and demands equality. I invite you all to join my revolution of love.”
13. She told the concert’s attendees: “you build the first floor of [a Pakistani girls’ school] and I’ll build the rest.”
The premise: yes. Those gloves: no.
14. Prince Harry popped up with a recorded message and everyone swooned.
He’s not wearing lace/leather gloves, you see.
15. Gloria Steinem also spoke for a while about birds.
In a feminist context, that is: “The human race is a bird with two wings. If one wing is broken, none of us can fly. Let’s fly!”
16. Though her reputation may not have preceded her when it came to the concert’s attendees:
Gloria Steinem comes on stage. Me: ‘WHOOOOOOO!’ Everyone else: ‘…..*tumbleweed*….’ Just me then? #CHIME
17. In other performances: Florence Welch did her thing. She does it well, after all.
18. Here she is getting tangled in a draped cape that’s not as elegant as J.Lo’s, though.
“Fucking chiffon,” says Florence. She’s allowed to curse like that because it still sounds quaint in a British accent.
19. Speaking of: here’s another shot of that cape because it’s just so wonderful.
20. Rita Ora saw a spider and got a little scared.
21. She’s ok though.
22. Who knows what James Franco was doing.
23. But really, who cares.
(This gif minus the cheap seafood.)
24. Ellie Goulding also wore black leather hotpants, wouldn’t you know.
25. Jessie J is still working the Sinead O’Connor shaved head look.
26. John Legend, in dapper Gucci menswear.
27. And Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds also showed up for a moment, but quite frankly that little wave from Ryan is all he needed to do.
- The Taliban has appointed Mullah Akhtar Mansour as its new Afghan leader.
- Airplane debris discovered Wednesday "very likely" belongs to the same type of aircraft as missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.
- A University of Cincinnati officer has been charged with murder for shooting Samuel Dubose, an unarmed black man.
- Uber drivers near the International Airport of Mexico City were pelted with rocks, sticks, eggs, and flour on Wednesday. Local authorities are investigating.