1. M.I.A.’s collection — designed for Versace’s “Versus” diffusion line — will be on sale in stores/online on October 16th. So that’ll be a shitshow.
2. You know it’s a serious enterprise when there are GIFs involved, after all.
Maya does like a good GIF-fest, though. Don’t we all?
3. Maya “M.I.A.” Arulpragasam studied at London’s famed fashion college Central St. Martins, so a fashion collaboration from her is probably overdue.
She describes the collection as inspired by the counterfeit clothing she’d see sold in markets (and worn in bingo halls) across East London as she grew up. It’s still worn in bingo halls, just FYI.
“When I was approached by Versace, it seemed like a good idea to take that and reverse the cycle. Versace designs have always been bootlegged, now it’s Versace bootlegging the bootleg… This is to keep that cycle going.”
9. And between this and Nicki Minaj’s new line for K-Mart, there’ll be a lot of great, new rapper-designed clothing in stores this month.
So get to saving up, or just plan to buy cheap knock-offs on eBay — M.I.A. would presumably be fine with that.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Greece voted "no" on sweeping new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. Its future in the eurozone is uncertain, and its creditors are unimpressed.
- The U.S. faces Japan in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup. The Americans scored 4 goals in the first 15 minutes of the game ⚽️
- Captured New York prison escapee David Sweat has been released from hospital and is back in jail.