1. M.I.A.’s collection — designed for Versace’s “Versus” diffusion line — will be on sale in stores/online on October 16th. So that’ll be a shitshow.
2. You know it’s a serious enterprise when there are GIFs involved, after all.
Maya does like a good GIF-fest, though. Don’t we all?
3. Maya “M.I.A.” Arulpragasam studied at London’s famed fashion college Central St. Martins, so a fashion collaboration from her is probably overdue.
She describes the collection as inspired by the counterfeit clothing she’d see sold in markets (and worn in bingo halls) across East London as she grew up. It’s still worn in bingo halls, just FYI.
“When I was approached by Versace, it seemed like a good idea to take that and reverse the cycle. Versace designs have always been bootlegged, now it’s Versace bootlegging the bootleg… This is to keep that cycle going.”
5. And includes t-shirts, leggings, printed jeans, silk shirts, shift dresses and outerwear.
6. The prints are epic — heavily reminiscent of the brand’s gaudy, gold ’90s iconography.
9. And between this and Nicki Minaj’s new line for K-Mart, there’ll be a lot of great, new rapper-designed clothing in stores this month.
So get to saving up, or just plan to buy cheap knock-offs on eBay — M.I.A. would presumably be fine with that.
- After almost a week, Brussels lowered its terror threat level to 3, the nation's second-highest. One of the suspected Paris attackers remains at large. ›
- Russia's athletic federation has accepted its suspension after report found evidence of "widespread doping." ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›