1. Like “spicy.”
Woe to the bland Latina actress who fails to ignite a set or photo shoot in an explosion of spice and flavor.
2. Or “fiery.”
Like the flames consuming your belongings.
3. Or “caliente.”
Especially when it’s slurred all mispronounced-like. Flattering. Real flattering.
4. Or, lord, “Hot Tamale.”
Which is woefully misguided on at least two levels.
5. Talk about a self-fulfilling stereotype.
I wasn’t angry until you chalked up my normal, universal emotional response to a stimulus to an inherent inability to control myself and my reactions. Odd how that works.
Also, why are the Latin names of plants italicized?
6. Coupled with the stereotype that we’re “loud.”
9. “Impassioned” and “passionate” are also coded words used to describe us.
Because other women… don’t have passion? They don’t get upset or emotive? And, more often than not, it’s a “polite” way of dismissing a valid emotional response.
But don’t get it wrong: We do have passion. But it’s real passion, not a coded attempt to undermine the things that excite and motivate us.
11. Or that we’re just so “hot” and sexually available.
Do a Google image search for “Latina.” Just try it.
12. Or that we’re all “curvy.”
We exist in literally every shape, size, and color.
13. Or that Latinas are your “type.”
Because we’re all so similar and interchangeable.
14. Especially if you call us “Spanish girls.”
Were you absent for… all of geography?
15. And when we’re asked to “say something sexy in Spanish”?
Assuming we all spoke Spanish, which we don’t, we’d probably say something like “¡Que vergüenza! Este cara de sapo realmente cree que tiene un chance conmigo.”
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️