1. Like many speakers before him, Gleeson began with self-deprecation.
2. But he’s a very clever young man. Having announced his decision to quit acting last year, he discussed how odd he found celebrity culture.
4. The full speech is by turns funny and thought-provoking. It’s well worth half an hour of your time.
The 21-year-old has just returned from a trip to Haiti with aid agency Goal, and is currently studying philosophy and theology at Trinity College in Dublin.
Correction: A previous version of this article stated that Jack Gleeson’s speech took place on 16 January 2013. The correct date of the speech is 27 November 2013.
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- Kyle Jean-Baptiste, the first black man to play Jean Valjean on Broadway in "Les Misérables," died Friday. He was 21. ›