1. This picture, of Bethany Turner, 23, from Worcester, has been viewed by more than 9 million people since she put it on Facebook.
Bethany was fitted with her colostomy bags in 2010 after she nearly died when her bowel ruptured. She was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease – which causes inflammation of the digestive system, making it very hard to digest food or eliminate waste products — at the age of 3.
2. She told the Daily Mail: “When I came out of hospital and everything finally sunk in, I remember going upstairs into my bedroom and just bursting into tears.”
“I’d known a colostomy bag might have been an option but it was always something that I had wanted to avoid. I had a really good cry that day, and since then I haven’t shed another tear - I’ve just got on with it I suppose.”
3. After marrying her husband Ian, 33, and going on holiday to Mexico last Christmas, she felt ready to accept the colostomy bags.
Despite her nerves early on, she says she soon learned how to not to let Crohn’s control her. Six months after her holiday, she got in touch with the Crohn’s and Colitis UK Facebook group to see if they would let her post a picture on their page. The image went viral.
- An assailant shot two people at Texas Southern University. One person has died, and a suspect has been detained. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›
- The National Dialogue Quartet in Tunisia won the 2015 Nobel Peace Prize for its role in building a democracy there. ›