1. IMPORTANT REMINDER: THE WORLD CUP STARTS IN JUST A FEW HOURS!!!
2. But no one thinks we’re going to win.
4. There’s a general air of quiet resignation.
5. And though we’re traditionally more understated than other nations…
6. …everything just seems a bit half-hearted this time around.
7. Which is strange, because we’re the HOME of football.
8. And we’re sending over a crack team of world class athletes…
9. …lead by an inspirational manager.
10. (A truly inspirational manager).
11. But no one has any faith.
12. It’s fair to say we’re not fancied to beat Italy.
13. In fact we’re not fancied generally.
16. This won’t happen again.
17. This won’t happen again.
Alan White is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
In The News Today
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- Kyle Jean-Baptiste, the first black man to play Jean Valjean on Broadway in "Les Misérables," died Friday. He was 21. ›