1. The Algerian team performed heroicially in the World Cup: so heroically that they were given an open-top bus tour on their arrival in Algiers.
2. They reached the knockout stages for the first time in their history thanks to a goal from striker Islam Slimani.
And they were eventually knocked out by Germany in the 92nd minute, despite a superb performance from goalkeeper Raïs M’Bolhi.
3. There were reports yesterday that Slimani had told Jordanian football writer Waleed Abu Nada that all of their prize money will be donated to the people of Gaza.
However, questions are now being asked as to the provenance of this story. Football blogger Maher Mezahi has deconstructed what he believes to be the basis of the rumour on his Twitter timeline. Algerian officials and Slimani have yet to comment on the story.
8. Footage of the Algerian team’s open bus tour showed at least one Palestinian flag draped from the bus.
9. Troop reinforcements have been sent to the border and there has been an escalation in the number of air strikes.
10. Meanwhile, more than a dozen Palestinian rockets struck southern Israel early this morning.
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- One person was killed and two others were seriously injured Friday when an air medical transport helicopter crashed in Colorado.