1. The Algerian team performed heroicially in the World Cup: so heroically that they were given an open-top bus tour on their arrival in Algiers.
2. They reached the knockout stages for the first time in their history thanks to a goal from striker Islam Slimani.
And they were eventually knocked out by Germany in the 92nd minute, despite a superb performance from goalkeeper Raïs M’Bolhi.
3. There were reports yesterday that Slimani had told Jordanian football writer Waleed Abu Nada that all of their prize money will be donated to the people of Gaza.
However, questions are now being asked as to the provenance of this story. Football blogger Maher Mezahi has deconstructed what he believes to be the basis of the rumour on his Twitter timeline. Algerian officials and Slimani have yet to comment on the story.
8. Footage of the Algerian team’s open bus tour showed at least one Palestinian flag draped from the bus.
9. Troop reinforcements have been sent to the border and there has been an escalation in the number of air strikes.
10. Meanwhile, more than a dozen Palestinian rockets struck southern Israel early this morning.
- Rallies for climate change action are taking place around the world ahead of the United Nations climate talks in Paris. ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›