1. Deripaska was upset that thousands of strays were being put down by authorities after a pest control company was handed a contract.
2. So he took it upon himself to build these dog shelters in Baranovka near Sochi.
3. He told the BBC: “My first dog I found in the street of my village, the tiny village [where I grew up].”
4. “It was a very close friend for five years.”
5. Stray dogs had been attracted to Sochi by the huge number of construction workers there.
6. After one interfered with rehearsals for the opening ceremony and another bit a child, an extermination company was called in.
7. The company’s director described the dogs as “biological trash”, and there was outrage.
8. There were estimates that up to 7,000 dogs were killed using poison and traps.
9. Deripaska is the boss of the biggest aluminium company in the world.
10. So far he’s managed to save 140 dogs, and a number have been successfully rehomed.
UK readers might also remember him from 2008, when he was involved in the “yachtgate” scandal with Lord Mandelson and the then-shadow chancellor George Osborne.
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›