1. Remember how people in Russia and Belarus launched petitions to ban television stations from broadcasting Eurovision if Wurst took part?
And how the audience at Eurovision didn’t exactly give Russia the warmest of reactions during the contest?
2. Well, this is how Russian broadcaster Andrei Malakhov responded to Wurst’s win, tweeting he was “shocked” at the result.
3. Beard shaving is now a thing on Russian social media.
4. This rapper challenged his followers to “prove you’re not Conchita”.
5. This woman says her husband is shaving twice a day.
6. This guy says: “The day before yesterday was the last day the beard makes you more manly”.
7. Of course, there’s a healthy dose of politics in the background. The Russian deputy prime minister said it: “Showed supporters of European integration their European future: a bearded girl.”
8. Here’s a Russian nationalist website warning Ukrainians that further integration will expose them to people like Wurst.
9. Here’s a pro-Russian account, which posted a photograph (from Sevastopol) of Ukrainian presidential candidate Yulia Tymoshenko with the caption, “Ukraine is Europe!”
14. “Now it’s clear who makes Europeans hard.”
(h/t to Aljona Lindsalu for spotting the above five images).