1. The Five Stages of Inebriation (c. 1863-1868) by Charles Percy Pickering was possibly commissioned by a local temperence group.
2. The State Library of New South Wales, which owns the pictures, says: “the photographs may also have been used by an engraver for illustrations.”
4. And the library suspects this pose may have been influenced by an S.T. Gill watercolour.
Alan White is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
In The News Today
- Wes Craven, who directed "Scream" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street," has died of brain cancer. He was 76. ›
- For the first time in history, there are three major hurricanes in the Pacific east of the International Dateline at the same time. ›
- Taylor Swift won Video of the Year for "Bad Blood" at the MTV Video Music Awards. ›