1. Marty McFly
A puffy vest and multiple layers are requirements, not hindrances.
2. Where’s Waldo (or Walda)
It’s basically striped long johns, a hat, and hipster glasses. And you really don’t need to do that with your face.
You seem to like thrift shopping, so go find yourself a nice (/awful) fur coat.
5. Max from Where The Wild Things Are
For a grown-up version, buy a polar fleece onesie and add a crown.
Get a grey hoodie, apply felt strategically, and prepare yourself for an onslaught of hugs.
7. Headless Person
You’re gonna get so hollered at. Directions here.
8. Sweeney Todd
Meat cleaver optional. And bonus: You’ll have everything you need (including the Johnny Depp scowl) for…
9. Edward Scissorhands
You can go with cardboard scissors or spring for a pair of gloves.
You can make this yourself out of dollar-store hoodies.
13. Garden Gnome
Replete with a polyfill beard to keep your chin as warm as your belly.
14. Robber and Bag of Money
In case you happen to have a baby or a dog or a very teeny friend. Directions here.
Cross-holiday pollination (hollination) is what makes this country great.
This is a fairly involved costume, but you’ll be able to smirk from deep within your giant mask at all the half-dressed miserable people flooding the streets.
17. MAC Foundation
Con: You can’t use your arms. Pro: You could have a whole snowsuit on under there.
19. Mario and Luigi
Or Wario, I guess, if you must. All you need is a red or green thermal, a matching hat, and a pair of overalls. Embellish/adopt an annoying accent at will.
Just print out a plumbob and wear it with your normal clothes.
22. And if you grab a couple of friends and run around in a circle of destruction all night, you can be…
24. Log Lady and Log
All you need is a shawl-collared sweater and either a log or a tiny human you can swaddle in brown cloth.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Doctors Without Borders says 19 people died after a U.S. airstrike caused possible collateral damage at a hospital in Afghanistan. ›
- The Catholic Church fired high-ranking Vatican official Monsignor Krzysztof Charamsa. He came out as gay on Saturday. ›
- Hundreds of rescue workers in Guatemala dug through rubble, searching for signs of life after a mudslide killed at least 56 people. ›