1. Nineteen transsexual contestants competed in the Miss T Brasil pageant for the title of “Miss Transsexual 2012.”
The pageant, which took place this week at the Teatro João Caetano in Rio de Janiero, is the first of its kind in Brazil. Barbara Aires, the head of the Association of Transsexuals and Transvestites in Rio, told the AFP that the organization’s goal is to gain visibility, and to show that transsexual and transgender people should be able to choose their own profession independent of stereotypes or prejudices.
During the five-day competition, contestants went to lectures on human rights and sexual diversity in addition to pageant events.
3. The pageant included swim and eveningwear competitions.
Miss Rio Grande do Sul struts across the stage.
5. Some contestants did their own makeup and hair.
That’s Marcela Ohio, from the Federal District.
- Budapest's main train station has opened its doors after a two-day stand-off, during which hundreds of people without a valid European Union visa weren't allowed on trains. ›
- Guatemalan President Otto Pérez Molina has resigned amid a lengthy corruption scandal that has brought his government to the brink. ›
- China's President Xi Jinping has said army personnel will be reduced by 300,000, the biggest cut to the military in almost two decades. ›