1. Nineteen transsexual contestants competed in the Miss T Brasil pageant for the title of “Miss Transsexual 2012.”
The pageant, which took place this week at the Teatro João Caetano in Rio de Janiero, is the first of its kind in Brazil. Barbara Aires, the head of the Association of Transsexuals and Transvestites in Rio, told the AFP that the organization’s goal is to gain visibility, and to show that transsexual and transgender people should be able to choose their own profession independent of stereotypes or prejudices.
During the five-day competition, contestants went to lectures on human rights and sexual diversity in addition to pageant events.
3. The pageant included swim and eveningwear competitions.
Miss Rio Grande do Sul struts across the stage.
5. Some contestants did their own makeup and hair.
That’s Marcela Ohio, from the Federal District.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated current Britain's Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?