1. Nineteen transsexual contestants competed in the Miss T Brasil pageant for the title of “Miss Transsexual 2012.”
The pageant, which took place this week at the Teatro João Caetano in Rio de Janiero, is the first of its kind in Brazil. Barbara Aires, the head of the Association of Transsexuals and Transvestites in Rio, told the AFP that the organization’s goal is to gain visibility, and to show that transsexual and transgender people should be able to choose their own profession independent of stereotypes or prejudices.
During the five-day competition, contestants went to lectures on human rights and sexual diversity in addition to pageant events.
3. The pageant included swim and eveningwear competitions.
Miss Rio Grande do Sul struts across the stage.
5. Some contestants did their own makeup and hair.
That’s Marcela Ohio, from the Federal District.
- With head clerk Kim Davis jailed, Rowan County issued several marriage licenses to same-sex couples today. ›
- After mounting pressure from other European countries, Britain will accept thousands more refugees from UN camps bordering Syria. ›
- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said he isn't sure he has the "emotional energy" to run for president. ›