1. Nineteen transsexual contestants competed in the Miss T Brasil pageant for the title of “Miss Transsexual 2012.”
The pageant, which took place this week at the Teatro João Caetano in Rio de Janiero, is the first of its kind in Brazil. Barbara Aires, the head of the Association of Transsexuals and Transvestites in Rio, told the AFP that the organization’s goal is to gain visibility, and to show that transsexual and transgender people should be able to choose their own profession independent of stereotypes or prejudices.
During the five-day competition, contestants went to lectures on human rights and sexual diversity in addition to pageant events.
3. The pageant included swim and eveningwear competitions.
Miss Rio Grande do Sul struts across the stage.
5. Some contestants did their own makeup and hair.
That’s Marcela Ohio, from the Federal District.
- Brussels started reopening schools and the Metro Wednesday after a four-day security lockdown. The city remains on the highest terrorism alert. ›
- Protesters gathered in Chicago Tuesday night after city officials released the video of a white police officer fatally shooting Laquan McDonald, a black teenager. ›
- Adele broke the single-week U.S. album sales record set by NSYNC in 2000. "25" sold at least 2.43 million in about three days. ›