1. With a baseball.
Cut along the center with an Xacto and remove the hard, stringy inner core to make room for a ring box.
2. With Scrabble tiles.
Use a set you already have, or, if you want to preserve the memory forever, buy one here.
3. With adrenaline.
They won’t know until they look at the (unreasonably expensive) photo at the end of the ride.
4. With technology.
This QR code necklace, when scanned, reveals the message “Will you marry me?” Buy one here.
5. At the bottom of a warm beverage.
You can find plastic ones that open up on eBay.
9. Legend of Zelda-style.
Heads-up, present and future lovers, this is the one for me.
10. For the musically inclined.
Customized guitar pick available here.
12. Celebrate your shared love of food.
In German, no less! Plenty of restaurants seem amenable to this kind of thing, as long as you call ahead.
13. (No matter how high- or low-brow).
This guy had the pint specially made for his proposal.
OK, so, full disclosure: I personally feel that this is a fairly janky way to ask someone to spend the rest of their earthly days with you, but so many people responded to that post being all “WAIT WHAT I WOULD MARRY ANYONE WHO PROPOSED THAT WAY” that I would feel amiss in my duties if I didn’t suggest it here.
16. Ask outside in public.
You might be arrested for vandalism, but who could argue against vandalism this adorable?
This proposal has been spotted by dozens of Instagrammers on the Palmetto Expressway in Miami over the past couple of days (hopefully Yane said yes).
18. And in nature.
You might want to spell out “you” all the way, though.
20. Use the perks of your job to your advantage.
He’s a pharmacist.
This biologist proposed to his fellow-biologist girlfriend using DNA fragments.
- Turkey hopes to ease tensions with Russia after it shot down a Russian warplane earlier this week. The countries have differing accounts of the incident. ›
- France and Russia have agreed to coordinate their airstrikes with the U.S. against ISIS. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›