1. On Wednesday night, the 80-foot Norway spruce in New York City’s Rockefeller Center was lit.
This year marks the ceremony’s 80th anniversary.
2. The tree was covered in more than 45,000 LED lights…
3. …and topped with a Swarovski crystal star.
4. Thousands of New Yorkers and tourists came out to watch the ceremony.
Some looked more excited than others.
This Salvation Army volunteer, named Jessie Rock, danced for donations while everyone gathered around.
7. The NYPD were on call for crowd control.
Also in case someone tried to steal the tree.
8. Cee Lo Green performed.
In the world’s most perfect coat.
9. So did Rod Stewart.
He looks like he wants to give all of New York a big Christmas hug.
10. And, of course, the iconic Rockettes.
Every Rockette has to be between 5’6” and 5’10 1/2”, no exceptions. I will admit to being the tiniest bit crushed to discover this (I’m 5’5” 1/2 on a good day).
13. The tree will remain lit until Jan. 7.
By then everyone will have had such Christmas-decoration overload that they won’t be too sad to see it go.