1. Assemble your troops.
All photos from this week’s Up Helly Aa festival in Lerwick, Shetland Islands. The festival, according to Getty, “celebrates the influence of the Scandinavian Vikings in the Shetland Islands and culminates with up to 1,000 ‘guizers’ (men in costume) throwing flaming torches into their Viking longboat and setting it alight later in the evening.”
2. No matter how young.
3. Seriously, age is no object.
4. Dress in the proper gear.
Putting the “swag” in “skaal.”
5. Get your hair did.
A Viking without braids is no Viking at all.
6. It’s OK to swap hats with the police officers on duty.
Just make sure you get yours back.
7. Brush up on street-style trends with the latest issue of NORSEMAG.
That’s not real, I made it up — but if only.
8. Pick the right ship.
Longboats are traditional.
9. Prepare your torches.
10. Form a circle.
11. And throw!
We cannot reiterate strongly enough that you should not try this at home. Also, you probably don’t have chain mail or a longboat, so it’s moot.
- U.S. President Barack Obama and leaders from 20 nations called for doubling clean energy research funding over the next five years at the Paris climate summit 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›