1. Assemble your troops.
All photos from this week’s Up Helly Aa festival in Lerwick, Shetland Islands. The festival, according to Getty, “celebrates the influence of the Scandinavian Vikings in the Shetland Islands and culminates with up to 1,000 ‘guizers’ (men in costume) throwing flaming torches into their Viking longboat and setting it alight later in the evening.”
2. No matter how young.
3. Seriously, age is no object.
4. Dress in the proper gear.
Putting the “swag” in “skaal.”
5. Get your hair did.
A Viking without braids is no Viking at all.
6. It’s OK to swap hats with the police officers on duty.
Just make sure you get yours back.
7. Brush up on street-style trends with the latest issue of NORSEMAG.
That’s not real, I made it up — but if only.
8. Pick the right ship.
Longboats are traditional.
9. Prepare your torches.
10. Form a circle.
11. And throw!
We cannot reiterate strongly enough that you should not try this at home. Also, you probably don’t have chain mail or a longboat, so it’s moot.
- A conservation group in Zimbabwe reported that Jericho, the brother of beloved lion Cecil, was shot and killed by a hunter. But some scientists monitoring the pride believe he is OK.
- Joe Biden has begun to "actively explore a possible presidential campaign," the New York Times reports.
- The trooper who pulled over Sandra Bland was disciplined for "unprofessional conduct" in the fall of 2014, records show.