1. In the original version of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, the bug is cute and cuddly.
4. But plants also use defensive chemicals to stay alive
Jasmonic acid and salicylic acid are the most important plant hormones involved in turning these chemicals on. By treating plants with these chemicals, which are harmless to the environment, scientists were able to increase the number of hairs on the surface of plants.
5. This made the hungry bollworm moths go elsewhere to lay their eggs
This make the plants and the farmers happy. A win for the plant kingdom!
War, A. R., Hussain, B., & Sharma, H. C. (2013). Induced resistance in groundnut by jasmonic acid and salicylic acid through alteration of trichome density and oviposition by Helicoverpa armigera (Hubner)(Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). AoB Plants, 1-19.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The battle to replace Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, who died Saturday, is expected to elevate the role of the court in an unprecedented way.
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates had their nastiest debate yet in South Carolina last night 🇺🇸
- And "Deadpool" made $135 million this weekend, the best U.S. debut for an R-rated film. That's a lotta chimichangas 💵