1. Instead of using your phone, use a real map to plot your route. Write notes about your stops, and you can even frame it later as a memento.
It never runs out of battery, never loses a signal, and guarantees you’ll have some unplanned adventures along the way. Make fun notes about all the weird places you encounter, so you’ll never forget them.
2. If you’re in multiple cars (or even if you’re not) grab a pair of walkie talkies for the road.
Faster and easier than fumbling with cell phones and texting, and more reliable for off-road and middle-of-nowhere communications. Plus you get to hear the “ktscccchhh” noise. Who doesn’t love that?
3. And use them to play games. Lots of games.
Simple ones like The Movie Game or the License Plate Game, or more complicated ones that utilize stuff everyone probably brought, like Music Wars.
4. Be constantly on the lookout for photo opportunities on the open road.
Even when you least expect them.
5. Maybe see who can collect the funniest church signs.
These can be pretty hysterical.
6. Even bumper stickers can be fresh and funny gems on the Open Road.
Even in the dark. Still funny.
7. There’s nothing like a random rest stop with some personality for fun souvenirs of your time on the road.
Always be on the lookout for something that seems out of place. Like the Czech Stop on I-35 between Dallas and Austin. It’s a well known Czech bakery, randomly located in West Texas.
8. Also: no place like random gas stations to find inspirational signage.
9. Need some inspiration? Consider going on a road trip to movie locations around the country.
10. Make an epic playlist. Don’t just depend on shuffle. Pick songs you know and are upbeat!
11. Do some research beforehand, and play regional food bingo. Gotta find them all!
Random gas stations are excellent places to find the country’s weirdest regional food.
12. Or more specifically, regional candy bingo.
Candy is one of the most regionally specific products in the US. Like Big Hunk candy, which you can only get in the Pacific Northwest. Find out some beloved regional candies here.