This Valentine’s Day, The Illustrated Nail has prepared the perfect ombré mani.
1. After applying a base coat paint all 10 nails with two coats of pale pink polish.
We’re starting with the lighter colour as the darker colours cover light polishes more effectively.
2. Take a striping brush dipped in pastel yellow and paint on a line around the cuticle end of the nail.
This is to prevent you from sponging over the cuticle.
3. Take a sponge dipped in to the pastel yellow and apply to the cuticle end of the nail leaving about 3/4 nail pink.
Be lighter with the sponging as you work your way down the nail so that the yellow fades in to the pink like a gradient.
4. Leave a gap of pink below the yellow and using another sponge dipped in pastel lilac apply to the tip of the nail.
Make sure to be lighter with the sponging to fade the purple in to the pink.
5. Take the darker purple and sponge over the tip leaving a small part of lilac to fade in to the purple.
6. Using the blue polish, sponge on the tip fading in to the purple.
7. Then add a darker pink between the yellow and pastel pink to make more of a gradient effect.
8. Take the silver glitter polish and paint a coat over the colour gradient on each nail.
9. Using a white striping brush paint on a diagonal line from the middle edge of the nail to the middle of the tip and fill in the side.
10. Repeat on the other side to create a chevron French manicure.
11. Using the white striping brush outline the cuticle following round to join up with the chevron French tip.
12. Using either a white nail art pen or the white striping brush create a curved v shape in the center of the cuticle end of the nail forming your heart shape.
If you make a mistake clean it up with a brush dipped in nail polish remover or Leighton Denny’s Precision Corrector and mini brush. This is particularly useful for tidying up the point of the heart so it is clean and crisp. Just make sure to touch the mistake lightly with the corrector brush so as not to remove the colour gradient underneath.
13. Finish with top coat.
14. Wear your nails with pride!
- The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan called the hospital bombing that killed 22 people "a mistake." ›
- Historic flooding has killed 16 people in South Carolina, where rain finally stopped falling on Tuesday. ›
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›