1. This is the False Widow spider. You can tell, because of its distinctive white skull marking.
2. They’ve been in the UK since 1870, but their numbers have increased due to a series of mild winters.
The British Arachnological Society says that they are “extremely abundant” in some places.
- Clashes have erupted between protesters and police in the Ukrainian capital, Kiev, over a draft law to give special status to separatist regions. ›
- Thai police have issued two new arrest warrants as the search widens for the suspects behind Bangkok's deadly shrine bombing. ›
- Palmyra's 2,000-year-old Temple of Bel is still standing despite an attempt by ISIS to blow it up, Syria's antiquities chief has said.›