1. Cards on the table, I am pale. Irish pale. Like this girl sunbathing. No, not her. The other one.
4. Us pale people know to fear the sun. For us, tan is a four letter word.
6. Up until the 1920s, it wasn’t considered refined in Western countries to tan.
7. In fact, a backronym for the word ‘posh’ derives from the phrase ‘Port Out, Starboard Home’ - ie the shadiest sides of the ship on each voyage.
8. Tanning came back into fashion after Coco Chanel accidentally got sunburnt on holidays.
9. Her friends liked her suntan, and the trend caught on. Cheers, Coco.
10. But really, let’s think about this. Is a tan worth it?
14. No matter how much attention you pay to your suncream, there’ll always be a bit you miss.
16. And let’s say, against all odds, you manage to avoid sunburn, and pick up a tan.
17. Your friends will either tell you how odd you look…
21. Let’s not even talk about tanning booths, or the health risks involved.
22. Come on now. Would you rather be Lindsay, or Nicola?
23. Donatella or Dita?
Getty / Getty Images
25. Thought as much. So pick up that parasol.
Ailbhe Malone is the UK lifestyle editor for BuzzFeed and is based in London.
In The News Today
- Doctors Without Borders is demanding an independent fact-finding mission into the deadly U.S. bombing on its Afghan hospital. ›
- The European Union is now using naval vessels in the Mediterranean to intercept boats that are smuggling refugees and migrants to Europe. ›
- Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich, and Aziz Sancar have won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for figuring out how cells repair DNA. ›