Pulled all nighter working on Hyperloop (as did others). Hopefully not too many mistakes. Will publish link at 1:30 PDT.
1. It might look something like this.
Musk laid out the plans in full on the Tesla Motors website.
2. It will shoot passengers through a tube at twice the speed of the fastest train on earth, using air.
Musk ruled out other plans, including magnets and pneumatic tubes.
The pods would float inside of the tube on ‘air skis’, like an air hockey puck.
3. And will go on a direct route from San Francisco to Los Angeles.
That would avoid the planned $70bn-$100bn California high-speed rail project. Musk said the Hyperlink will cost around a tenth of that – with most of the money being spent on buying the land.
4. It will built on pylons, so it doesn’t take up too much space, and they will be pre-fabricated so they can drop into place.
The tubes could also be powered by solar panels, Musk said.
5. The plans will be open source, which Musk hopes will encourage someone else to build the design. He’s too busy designing the rest of the future, like electric cars.
6. And building rockets, with SpaceX.
(Though Musk seemed to be getting more and more convinced as he talked to reporters about it on a conference call this afternoon.)