1. Are voucher schools safe?
A federal audit of the Washington, D.C., voucher program found an alarming lack of controls to ensure that the buildings were safe.
2. They teach pretty nutty things
The magazine Mother Jones published a shocking list of things children may be learning at voucher schools in Louisiana, including that humans and dinosaurs lived together. That’s off by about 60 million years.
3. Students underperform
In both Louisiana and Wisconsin, students who attended schools on vouchers performed below the state average on tests. Why would we drain public schools to send students to schools that perform poorly?
4. Where’s the money?
In Milwaukee, a voucher school abruptly closed after collecting $200,000 from taxpayers.
Some schools that receive public funds through vouchers can discriminate against gay students and fire a teacher for being gay. Not to mention the schools that give pregnancy tests to students.
6. Science is real
ALEC has model bills, which have been proposed in several states, that allow for the teaching of climate change denial. And one voucher school explained to the New York Times that it teaches kids that science is a “fallacy.”
In Louisiana, the Department of Justice had to sue because the voucher program may have violated desegregation orders.
Vouchers are a bad idea.
To stay updated on vouchers be sure to check out VoucherFail.Tumblr.Com
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty, his attorney said. He is accused of killing nine people at a Charleston church in June.
- The World Health Organization says that an interim analysis of a potential Ebola vaccine shows "100% efficacy in individuals."
- Beijing won its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. It's the first city to host both the summer and winter games.