1. To Protect the ‘Defenseless,’ Abolish the Minimum Wage
“To Protect the Defenseless, We Must Abolish the Minimum Wage,” write Yaron Brook and Don Watson of the Ayn Rand Center for Forbes. Yes, this makes total sense. Not.
2. Let’s Pay Teenagers Less for the Same Work
State Sen. Michael Baumgartner (R-Wash.) says teenagers should be paid less than minimum wage because “a whole generation of teens are not being able to develop a work ethic.” Yes, the best way to instill proper work ethic is to pay people substandard wages because of their age.
3. The Very Idea of a Minimum Wage? Psshaw
James Sherk of the Heritage Foundation: “I believe the minimum wage hurts its intended beneficiaries. I do not support the concept of the minimum wage.”
Sherk doesn’t even like the concept of the minimum wage. We wonder how long he would agree with that if he actually worked in a minimum wage job?
4. Or, Maybe, Let’s Just Abolish It Altogether
Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), the ranking member of the Senate’s Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee: “I do not believe in (the concept of a minimum wage).”
5. Eliminating the Minimum Wage Will Help Poor People, We Promise!
Former Republican congressman for Texas and presidential candidate Ron Paul believes that poor Americans would “absolutely” be better off if the minimum wage was eliminated.
Paul says: “It would help the poor people who need jobs. Minimum wage is a mandate. We’re against mandates, so why should we have it? It would be very beneficial.”
6. Getting Paid a Minimum Wage Is ‘So 20th Century’
Republican Rep. Joe Barton of Texas: “I think it’s outlived its usefulness.”
7. We Should Never Have Had a Minimum Wage In the First Place
Cato Institute Vice President James Dorn: “I think the minimum wage is zombie economics….The minimum wage interferes with individual freedom and economic freedom.”
The economic freedom of corporations to do what? Operate sweatshops and pay employees $2 an hour?
8. Kill the Minimum Wage and Poof!—Unemployment Solved
Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann (Minn.), a former presidential candidate, thinks that if you eliminate minimum wage, you would “virtually wipe out unemployment.”
9. Eliminate the Minimum Wage Because that Would Make Corporate CEOs Happy
Euro Pacific Capital CEO Peter Schiff: “What we really should do is completely abolish the minimum wage, that would make a lot of sense.”
10. The Minimum Wage Is ‘Archaic’ and Has ‘Never Worked’
Former West Virginia Republican Senate candidate John Raese says he “absolutely” supports the abolition of the minimum wage.
11. The Minimum Wage Is Unconstitutional
Republican Senate candidate Joe Miller of Alaska: “There should not be (a federal minimum wage). That is not within the scope of the powers that are given to the federal government.”
We Think Jobs Should Lift Workers Out of Poverty, Not Trap Them In It
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Brussels started reopening schools and the Metro Wednesday after a four-day security lockdown. The city remains on the highest terrorism alert. ›
- Protesters gathered in Chicago Tuesday night after city officials released the video of a white police officer fatally shooting Laquan McDonald, a black teenager. ›
- Adele broke the single-week U.S. album sales record set by NSYNC in 2000. "25" sold at least 2.43 million in about three days. ›