1. Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, has been known to grab storylines from actual headlines, so it should come as no surprise that they’ve decided to take on the polarizing George Zimmerman trial.
Ice-T speaking to Richard Belzer, who is holding a card with Trayvon Martin on the back.
2. Cybill Shepherd is playing someone based on George Zimmerman and Jeffrey Tambor from Arrested Development fame is her lawyer.
3. The storyline revolves around Shepherd’s character having killed a black teenager.
4. A protest like the ones that occurred during and after the Zimmerman trial is going on in the episode.
5. The slain teen’s name is Mehcad.
6. Sonja Sohn, who played Kima on The Wire, a critically acclaimed show that shined a light on race and violence in America, may play a family member of the deceased, according to The Daily Mail.
7. While reaction to the news has been mixed, many on Twitter called for an episode on the trial in the last few months.
Somebody needs to make a Trayvon Martin episode on SVU. Who cares about RE RE and Chris Brown. I wanna see a real issue./ Via
There are plenty of ways to make #SVU relevant to blacks without that CB rihanna nonsense. How bout a #trayvon episode?/ Via
Can we get a Law & Order; SVU Trayvon Martin episode?/ Via
10. According to a passerby who spoke with members of the film crew, the episode will be called “American Tragedy.”
@RealAdrianC @BuzzFeed @BuzzFeedNews it’ll be third episode of season, called “american tragedy”. Saw them filming last week/ Via