1. Iowa Rep. Steve King, no stranger to controversial comments, announced on Twitter today that his office had been invaded by aliens.
20 brazen self professed illegal aliens have just invaded my DC office. Obama’s lawless order gives them de facto immunity from U.S. law.
King, who previously compared immigrants to dogs in comments that made it to YouTube, has been staunchly anti-illegal immigration and opposes the bipartisan “Gang of 8” immigration reform legislation being debated in the Senate.
4. This is who showed up to his office. They were activists from United We Dream, protesting his sponsoring of a bill to cut funding for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, enacted by the Obama administration.
5. Jose Antonio Vargas, who came out as an undocumented immigrant in a high-profile New York Times piece, and has been out front in calling for reform, responded to King’s comments.
Jose Antonio Vargas
I just wanna give @SteveKingIA a hug and make him some chicken adobo. Shake all that anxiety out of him.
7. But King wasn’t done.
#Gof8 You promise border security. How, when we can’t secure Congress from Obama amnesty? Schumer, McCain, come guard my door.
8. Arizona Rep. Raúl M. Grijalva responded to King’s comments.
“Poor Steve King. When Dreamers come to his office to address his attacks on them, he calls them invaders and hides under his desk,” Grijalva said in a statement. “Don’t be afraid, Steve. They’re just like you. They love this country. They want the American promise to be available to everyone.
Grijalva urged dialogue. “Talk to them, Steve. You’ll learn something about the United States.”
- A Lake County police officer was shot and killed by three men during a routine traffic stop in Fox Lake, Illinois. ›
- A Kentucky clerk continues to defy the Supreme Court by denying marriage licenses to same-sex couples. ›
- Google introduced a redesigned logo. It's the biggest change to the logo since 1999. ›