1. Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the dead Boston Marathon bombing suspect, has been officially linked to a 2011 triple murder, according to a new government court filing.
2. The link to the Massachusetts triple murder, first reported by BuzzFeed in April, is confirmed in the filing and attributed to Ibragim Todashev, a friend who was shot and killed during questioning in May.
3. “According to [Ibragim] Todashev, Tamerlan Tsarnaev participated in the triple homicide,” the filing reads.
The three Waltham victims’ throats were slit on Sept. 11, 2011.
4. The filing was produced in response to requests by lawyers for Tsarnaev’s brother, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, for additional information about the Waltham murders.
5. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is facing 30 federal charges in connection with the April 15 bombing.
Prosecutors forcefully argued the Dzhokhar Tsarnaev should not receive any more information and documents about the Waltham case.
In any event, the government has already disclosed to Tsarnaev that, according to Todashev, Tamerlan Tsarnaev participated in the Waltham triple homicide. Any benefit to Tsarnaev of knowing more about the precise “nature and extent” of his brother’s involvement does not outweigh the potential harm of exposing details of an ongoing investigation into an extremely serious crime, especially at this stage of the proceedings.
- Austria and Germany will allow people seeking refuge from the war in Syria who are currently in Hungary to come to their countries. ›
- Rowan County, Kentucky, issued several marriage licenses today, but their validity is being questioned because jailed clerk Kim Davis's name isn't on them. ›
- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said he isn't sure he has the "emotional energy" to run for president. ›