1. Panamanian authorities flagged an aging North Korean freighter that was posing as a ship transporting raw sugar from Cuba.
2. The 36-year-old ship had rarely come into the Western Hemisphere, and once on board, inspectors discovered a hidden compartment under the sugar. In it were missile components that might violate sanctions imposed on North Korea by the United Nations.
3. The crew was taken into custody when they refused to follow the Panamanian authorities’ orders, and the captain had to be stopped from trying to kill himself.
4. Panama’s president announced the impounding of the ship on Twitter and posted a photo of the missile system components.
Paname1 capturo barco de bandera Norcoreana proveniente de cuba con cargamento be9lico no declarado
5. Officials said the tip to search the vessel came from Panamanian intelligence but declined to say whether other countries helped:
The president said the ship would undergo a thorough inspection to look for any more contraband. “We’re going to keep unloading the ship and figure out exactly what was inside,” he said. “You cannot go around shipping undeclared weapons of war through the Panama Canal.”
- Britain marks 10 years since 52 people were killed in terrorist attacks in London.
- Bill Cosby testified in 2005 that he obtained sedatives to give to women he wanted to have sex with, the AP reports.
- The South Carolina legislature took a key step toward removing the Confederate flag from statehouse grounds.
- Reddit's CEO apologized for the site's "long history of mistakes."