1. Panamanian authorities flagged an aging North Korean freighter that was posing as a ship transporting raw sugar from Cuba.
3. The crew was taken into custody when they refused to follow the Panamanian authorities’ orders, and the captain had to be stopped from trying to kill himself.
4. Panama’s president announced the impounding of the ship on Twitter and posted a photo of the missile system components.
Paname1 capturo barco de bandera Norcoreana proveniente de cuba con cargamento be9lico no declarado
5. Officials said the tip to search the vessel came from Panamanian intelligence but declined to say whether other countries helped:
The president said the ship would undergo a thorough inspection to look for any more contraband. “We’re going to keep unloading the ship and figure out exactly what was inside,” he said. “You cannot go around shipping undeclared weapons of war through the Panama Canal.”
- Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders faced off for the first time since the Bern's big win in New Hampshire. Here's the recap 🇺🇸
- World leaders have agreed to a "cessation of hostilities" in Syria, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said.
- NYPD Officer Peter Liang was found guilty of manslaughter in the 2014 shooting of Akai Gurley, an unarmed black man.