1. Monica Spears, 29, a former Miss Venezuela and popular novela actress, was shot and killed in an attempted robbery in Venezuela along with her husband, Thomas Henry Berry, 49.
2. Tragically, they were killed in front of their 5-year-old daughter, who was in the car at the time and was wounded in the gunfire but is expected to be OK, NBC Miami reports.
3. The killing occurred Monday night near Puerto Cabello, Venezuela’s main port, the Associated Press reports.
The family lived in the United States and was on vacation.
4. Violent crime is on the rise in Venezuela, with more than 24,000 homicides in 2013. The U.S. Department of State rates the criminal threat level in Venezuela’s capital Caracas as “critical.”
5. Spear recently posted on social media from her vacation.
- After almost a week, Brussels lowered its terror threat level to 3, the nation's second-highest. One of the suspected Paris attackers remains at large. ›
- Russia's athletic federation has accepted its suspension after report found evidence of "widespread doping." ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›