1. Francisco “Pipin” Ferreras, a controversial but record-breaking free-diver, is coming out of retirement for one more dive — the same dive that killed his wife in 2002.
2. Audrey Mestre was a student who wrote about Ferreras and then fell in love with him and his insatiable appetite for dangerous dives.
3. Not only did she join him in free-diving, but she was a natural and they quickly became a couple that was regularly breaking world records.
4. But Ferreras, who was known for questionable safety procedures and a thirst to continually dive deeper and deeper, is blamed by many for his wife’s death.
5. She drowned when a dive that should have been no more than three minutes resulted in her remaining underwater for more than eight and a half minutes, due to an equipment malfunction.
6. Ferreras tells NBC Latino that he was in denial and lost everything, but this final dive is his calling.
“I really admire people who fall down and always get back up. Those are my winners and everybody has a chance to be happy even if you make mistakes. Everybody deserves a second chance.”