1. An aide for Governor Scott Walker, Taylor Palmisano, was fired after tweets from 2011 surfaced where she made inflammatory remarks about Mexicans and undocumented immigrants.
Walker made the decision after being made aware of the tweets by a Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel columnist.
2. Palmisano’s ouster as deputy finance director comes after the GOP governor fired staffer Steven Krieser after Facebook posts surfaced where he likened undocumented immigrants to Satan.
3. Palmisano, who deactivated her Facebook and Twitter profiles, gave a statement to the Journal Sentinel.
“I deeply regret these offensive and irresponsible remarks,” she said. “I sincerely apologize, and understand the consequences of making such unacceptable statements.”
4. The firings come after Walker has talked about the importance of reaching out to minority voters. His office distanced itself from Palmisano.
“Both the governor and the campaign condemn these insulting remarks, which do not reflect our views in any way,” said Friends of Scott Walker spokesman Jonathan Wetzel, who added that she was “immediately removed.”
5. Palmisano was recently ridiculed for a Black Friday fundraising email she wrote asking Wisconsin residents to avoid “electronics or toys that will undoubtedly be outdated, broken, or lost by the next Holiday Season” and instead give to Walker’s campaign.
6. h/t: @Latino Rebels
- The U.S., Japan, and 10 other Pacific Rim nations have agreed to a historic trade deal encompassing 40% of the world's economy. ›
- Three scientists who developed treatments against parasites have won the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. ›
- CC Sabathia, a pitcher for the playoff-bound New York Yankees, says he's checking himself into an alcohol rehab center. ›