1. An aide for Governor Scott Walker, Taylor Palmisano, was fired after tweets from 2011 surfaced where she made inflammatory remarks about Mexicans and undocumented immigrants.
Walker made the decision after being made aware of the tweets by a Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel columnist.
2. Palmisano’s ouster as deputy finance director comes after the GOP governor fired staffer Steven Krieser after Facebook posts surfaced where he likened undocumented immigrants to Satan.
3. Palmisano, who deactivated her Facebook and Twitter profiles, gave a statement to the Journal Sentinel.
“I deeply regret these offensive and irresponsible remarks,” she said. “I sincerely apologize, and understand the consequences of making such unacceptable statements.”
4. The firings come after Walker has talked about the importance of reaching out to minority voters. His office distanced itself from Palmisano.
“Both the governor and the campaign condemn these insulting remarks, which do not reflect our views in any way,” said Friends of Scott Walker spokesman Jonathan Wetzel, who added that she was “immediately removed.”
5. Palmisano was recently ridiculed for a Black Friday fundraising email she wrote asking Wisconsin residents to avoid “electronics or toys that will undoubtedly be outdated, broken, or lost by the next Holiday Season” and instead give to Walker’s campaign.
6. h/t: @Latino Rebels
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️