1. While Depp’s Lone Ranger looks like it might have been a flop with or without him playing the lead role of Tonto, Tumblr user Fandom Heroin has a message for white actors who insist on playing people of color.
Pictured: Mike Myers in The Love Guru, Depp as Tonto in The Lone Ranger, Jackson Rathbone as Sokka and Nicola Peltz as Katara in The Last Airbender, Jake Gyllenhaal as Dastan in The Prince of Persia, Sacha Baron Cohen in The Dictator, Jim Sturgess (inspired by real-life Jeff Ma) in 21, Justin Chatwin as Goku in Dragon Ball Z, Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra, Dominic Cooper as Uday Hussein AND Latif Yahia in The Devil’s Double, Jesse Cave as Lavender Brown in the Harry Potter films, Benedict Cumberbatch as Kahn from Star Trek Into Darkness and Ashton Kutcher as an Indian man looking for love from some ill-advised Popchips commercials.
5. The post continues:
They can never find ethnic actors…until they need maids, slaves, thugs, victims, extras, dropouts, villains. Even in fictional universes we get lightened, pushed to the background, vilified, or exaggerated. That’s IF we even make it to the movie. We don’t even get to tell our own cultural stories.
6. Commenters on the Latino Rebels Facebook page were outraged by the whitewashing but also said that beyond boycott threats and anger there is a way to change this dynamic.
- U.S. President Barack Obama said the United Nations climate summit in Paris could be a "turning point" in saving the planet 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›