1. Now That’s What I Call Music! 49 debuted atop the Billboard 200 this week.
2. With 98,000 copies sold, it beat out the Frozen soundtrack, which sold 88,000 copies.
3. There have been FORTY NINE of these things.
4. Now 49 features hot contemporary jams such and Miley Cyrus’s Wrecking Ball and Britney Spears’ Work, Work, which is an edited version of Work, Bitch.
5. Now compilations have been a fixture since 1998, though you probably didn’t realize they’re still releasing them sixteen years later.
The original release featured music from Marcy Playground, Aqua, Harvey Danger, and K-Ci & JoJo.
6. 15 incarnations of the Now anthology have reached number 1 on the charts, a record that’s second only the The Beatles’ 19 number ones.
7. WHEN WILL THE MADNESS STOP???
- Two bomb attacks in the central Nigerian city of Jos have killed at least 44 people.
- Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis has resigned following an overwhelming "no" vote on new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. The country's future in the eurozone is uncertain.
- The U.S. defeated Japan 5-2 in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup. It was the highest scoring final in the history of the tournament ⚽️