1. Because in the ’90s, MTV wasn’t afraid to be weird with its promos.
2. Because there’s never been a more perfect mouthpiece of a generation than Daria and Jane.
3. Because nobody since Aeon Flux has excited you and confused you at the same time.
4. Because there will never be a better broadcast journalist than Serena Altschul.
5. Because Kurt Loder was the father you always wanted, and Tabitha Soren inspired you to get out and vote.
6. Because now The Real World is but a shell of its ’90s greatness.
Who could forget the scandalous Lyme Disease Incident of 1998?
7. ‘Cause only in the ’90s would MTV give a show to a pair of sock puppets.
8. What other decade would’ve offered a safe haven to the messy, alternative trash-person (but actually wealthy, private school graduate) Jesse Camp?
9. It was always thrilling when Weird Al used his private satellite transmitter to commandeer the airwaves of MTV to play music videos that he wanted to see.
10. Because in the ’90s Jenny McCarthy was too busy making us laugh to preach about vaccinations.
11. Because Pauly Shore was still relevant.
…even if he didn’t shove a tiny Bruno Mars into a pool when he had the chance.
12. “The Bum Bum Song” was probably the first thing you downloaded on Napster.
Yeah, don’t pretend you weren’t obsessed with this when you were 11.