1. Because in the ’90s, MTV wasn’t afraid to be weird with its promos.
2. Because there’s never been a more perfect mouthpiece of a generation than Daria and Jane.
3. Because nobody since Aeon Flux has excited you and confused you at the same time.
4. Because there will never be a better broadcast journalist than Serena Altschul.
5. Because Kurt Loder was the father you always wanted, and Tabitha Soren inspired you to get out and vote.
6. Because now The Real World is but a shell of its ’90s greatness.
Who could forget the scandalous Lyme Disease Incident of 1998?
7. ‘Cause only in the ’90s would MTV give a show to a pair of sock puppets.
8. What other decade would’ve offered a safe haven to the messy, alternative trash-person (but actually wealthy, private school graduate) Jesse Camp?
9. It was always thrilling when Weird Al used his private satellite transmitter to commandeer the airwaves of MTV to play music videos that he wanted to see.
11. Because Pauly Shore was still relevant.
…even if he didn’t shove a tiny Bruno Mars into a pool when he had the chance.
12. “The Bum Bum Song” was probably the first thing you downloaded on Napster.
Yeah, don’t pretend you weren’t obsessed with this when you were 11.
13. Because nothing since Beavis and Butthead has been so brilliantly asinine.
14. (Beavis and Butthead also taught you which music videos to snark on.)
15. Because Celebrity Deathmatch provided a much-needed outlet for your frustrations with vapid celebrities.
16. And MTV’s Spring Break softened the blow of not being able to go someplace warm during time off from school.
17. Winter Steele made you want to buy a motorcycle when you grew up.
19. And Singled Out was the perfect roadmap on what not to do in relationships.
20. Plus, The Head helped you cope with feeling like an outsider.
21. And oh yeah, didn’t MTV used to play music videos?
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.
- The World Health Organization says new cases of Ebola in Sierra Leone and Guinea hit the lowest point in more than a year last week.
- Super Typhoon Soudelor, the strongest storm of 2015 so far, is threatening parts of Asia after hitting the Pacific island Saipan.