Maybe you only know her from her “cuchi-cuchi” catchphrase, or from that time Yara Sofia impersonated her on RuPaul’s Drag Race.
Maybe you saw her on the finale of Don’t Trust The B and thought, “That old lady is really good at guitar” before switching over to Hoarders and forgetting about her forever.
WELL, CHARO IS SO MUCH MORE. Her life is fascinating and her reign just won’t let UP.
1. First of all, she has the greatest name of all time.
3. She is muy muy misterioso. Nobody knows her real age.
4. Charo’s parents helped her falsify her age to appear older and marry 66-year-old band leader Xavier Cugat when she was was just 21.
Years later in the Spanish-language newspaper La Opinión, Charo explained that the marriage was only a business contract so she could legally move to the United States.
5. When Charo came of age, she bought Cugat a Rolls-Royce as a thank-you, because she was already super rich off her badass guitar skills and could afford cars as gifts.
7. Charo herself is now considered the best damn flamenco guitarist is the world.
No, really. Guitar Player Magazine said so, twice.
9. Charo basically invented the word “overexposed.” In the ’70s she appeared on basically every TV ever, including The Love Boat EIGHT TIMES.
10. In 1976 Charo shot episodes for a television show called Charo and the Sergeant, but it was far too brilliant and amazing for American TV and wasn’t picked up.
In the show, Charo’s gets a job as a dancer at an off-limits night club and her conservative Marine Corps husband finds out. Escandaloso!!!
16. Charo’s sexiness CANNOT BE CONTAINED, even when she’s playing a cartoon frog in flop Disney knock offs.
17. Universal Mother Charo thanks you for your time.
- Justice Antonin Scalia, who served almost 30 years on the Supreme Court as one of its most prominent and influential conservative voices, died Saturday. He was 79.
- The four members of British indie band Viola Beach and their manager are believed to have died in a car crash in Sweden.
- And U.S. Republican presidential candidates had their nastiest debate yet in South Carolina last night 🇺🇸