1. You never know if someone is yelling for you or just another person with your name.
2. And it’s never clear if your boss wants to talk to you or one of the other five people in the office with your name.
And it’s especially bad if you happen to sit near each other.
3. You have to deal with the same jokes OVER AND OVER.
And everyone thinks they’re being so original and clever.
4. The first thing that comes up for your name on Google is DEFINITELY not you.
I repeat, THIS IS NOT ME. I HAVE NOT COMMITTED ANY MURDER.
5. Everyone thinks it’s hilarious when you pass a restaurant or something that shares your name.
“OMG HEY DO YOU OWN THAT PLACE BECAUSE IT’S GOT YOUR NAME LOLOLOL”
6. You can never get an email address that even remotely resembles your name.
Because YourName@gmail.com is obviously taken, so you’re stuck with Xx012Your.00.NameXX@gmail.com.
7. And trying to get a good URL for your social media accounts or professional website is next to impossible.
8. People ask if you’re related to some random person just because you share a last name.
Yes, all 1.26 million of us are cousins.
9. People try to give you annoying nicknames to help remember you.
STOP. THAT IS NOT MY NAME.
10. People who don’t put full names in their phones sometimes send you messages meant for someone else.
First AND last names, everyone. Middle names, too, if necessary.
11. You have to be really careful about who you enter into a relationship with.
And if someone in your family starts dating someone with the same name as you? Awks.
12. When someone with the same name friends you on Facebook for no apparent reason.
I don’t know you. Having the same name doesn’t change that.
13. People assume you share all the traits of fictional characters with your name.
14. Or celebrities, who thus wreak havoc on your good name.
15. Having a common name makes you more susceptible to identity theft.
- At least nine people in Colorado Springs were injured in a shooting at a Planned Parenthood clinic, officials said. ›
- At least 15 people were killed after a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite Muslim procession of hundreds of people in Nigeria. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›