1. The trailer for the new stop-motion animated film The Boxtrolls — featuring the voices of Elle Fanning, Simon Pegg, and Ben Kingsley — just debuted. It starts like this.
2. Then they add a daddy.
Goodness, that baby’s hair gets mussed a lot.
3. But then things take an unexpected and wonderful turn.
Two dads! In a trailer for a family movie!
4. There’s no mistaking the meaning here. Or how happy the baby is no matter who its parents are.
This is both incredibly timely and incredibly impressive. No other mainstream family film has ever been this forthrightly gay friendly in its trailer.
5. The baby is even happy with a loving family of boxtrolls!
Which seems to be the point of the movie given its title and everything, so OK!
6. The Boxtrolls is from Laika, the same animation studio that made 2012’s ParaNorman, which featured a dumb jock character who turned out to be gay.
7. Watch the full trailer here:
Toni Collette, Nick Frost, and Jared Harris are also supplying their voices for the movie, which doesn’t arrive until Sept. 26, 2014. So far away!
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter has crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated current Britain's Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?