2. The film centers on an American named Peter Quill (Pratt) who becomes the object of a manhunt after stealing an orb coveted by the villainous Ronan the Accuser (Lee Pace).
We never quite see Ronan the Accuser in this trailer, btw.
4. Because the Guardians of the Galaxy comics are largely unknown to general audiences, the trailer takes care to introduce the main characters, starting with Drax “The Destroyer” (WWE wrestler Dave Bautista).
We learn he has impact-resistant skin, has a criminal record of 22 counts of murder, and has been “on a rampage across the galaxy” after his wife and family were killed.
5. We also meet the assassin Gamora (Zoe Saldana, green this time!)…
She’s wanted on at least 12 counts of murder, she has cybernetic appendages, and she’s the last survivor of the Zehoberi people.
6. …Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper, though we never hear him in the trailer)…
Rocket — called Rocket Raccoon in the comics, because, well, he’s a raccoon — was apparently a “cybernetic-genetic experiment on a lower life form” that endowed him with enhanced bones and brains, which is probably how he can walk on two legs and (presumably) talk.
7. …Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel, who also isn’t heard in this trailer)…
A “humanoid plant inhabitant of Taluhnia” (obviously), Groot has recently been serving as Rocket’s “personal house plant/muscle.”
8. …and Peter Jason Quill, aka Star Lord.
Though Quill thinks himself a scoundrel, he’s seemingly small time, wanted just on “charges of minor assault, public intoxication, and fraud.” But he certainly does know how to flip off the fuzz.
9. After the introductions, the trailer launches into a series of blink-and-you’ll-miss-‘em cuts of the characters in action.
There’s something hypnotic about this particular GIF of Rocket and Groot tearing shit up, isn’t there?
11. To cover the bases, we also get a quick glimpse of Gamora without her shirt on.
But she doesn’t look nearly as angry.
12. We also get to see Gamora with her clothes on, wielding a sword and generally looking like you don’t want to mess with her.
13. Drax goes on that rampage we’d heard about.
15. We see someone who could be Ronan the Accuser, but we never see his face.
Really strong shoulders, though.
16. We get another peek at The Collector (Benicio Del Toro), whom we first met in the post-credits sequence of last fall’s Thor: The Dark World.
18. Watch the full trailer — and its pretty brilliant use of Blue Swede’s “Hooked on a Feeling” — here!
19. Guardians of the Galaxy hits theaters in the U.S. on Aug. 1.
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates are debating in New Hampshire, ahead of Tuesday's primary 🇺🇸
- Twitter's CEO responded to backlash over reports that Twitter would move to an algorithmic feed, insisting that the product would remain real-time.
- Deep breaths: Beyoncé dropped a new song and video called "Formation." She's performing at the Super Bowl on Sunday 👑🐝