1. Israeli actress and model Gal Gadot has been cast as Wonder Woman (a.k.a. Diana Prince) in the upcoming untitled Superman/Batman movie, Warner Bros. announced on Wednesday.
The 28 year old star opposite Henry Cavill as Superman/Clark Kent, and Ben Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne, with Man of Steel director Zack Snyder and writer David S. Goyer both returning.
The casting confirms Warner Bros.’ ambitions to transform the DC Comics universe into a mega-franchise, a la Marvel Studios’ cinematic universe, but it is unclear whether Gadot’s role is substantial or a glorified cameo meant to point to an upcoming Justice League movie.
Regardless, the Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman movie — which needs to get its title soon, already — is set for a July 17, 2015 release date.
2. Crowned Miss Israel in 2004, Gadot is best known as Gisele from the last three Fast & Furious movies.
Here she is standing next to Vin Diesel in Fast & Furious 6.
3. Director Zack Snyder said this about Gadot in a statement:
Wonder Woman is arguably one of the most powerful female characters of all time and a fan favorite in the DC Universe. Not only is Gal an amazing actress, but she also has that magical quality that makes her perfect for the role. We look forward to audiences discovering Gal in the first feature film incarnation of this beloved character.
- U.S. President Barack Obama and leaders from 20 nations called for doubling clean energy research funding over the next five years at the Paris climate summit 🌍 ›
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›