1. Eric Lawson, a former “Marlboro Man,” has died at the age of 72 from complications related to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cigarette smoking is a primary cause of COPD.
Daniel Munoz / Reuters / Reuters
2. Lawson appeared in advertisements for Marlboro cigarettes in the late 1970s. He started smoking when he was 14.
4. Lawson now becomes the third Marlboro Man to die from smoking related causes, joining David Millar, who died of emphysema in 1987, and David McLean, who died of lung cancer in 1995.
AP Photo/Danny Johnston
In The News Today
- California Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House. ›
- FIFA has suspended its president Sepp Blatter, secretary general Jerome Valcke, and vice-president Michel Platini for 90 days. ›
- Congressional Democrats are urging the TSA to change its screening procedures for transgender passengers. ›